Here is some interesting information I have for friends on eBay India on sending packets internationally. (I send from Bangalore)
1. If you go to a post office, most clerks will tell you that "Registered letter" can only contain documents. This is FALSE. It can contain lightweight merchandise (upto about 2 kg).
2. A piece of merchandise weighing 100g booked as "Registered Letter" will cost you only about Rs. 100 whereas the same by "Registered Parcel" will cost you four times as much.
3. CN 22 is a commonly used international-standard customs form for sending small items for personal use. Some post offices will ask you to use CP 3 (outdated) or CP 72 which is only for parcels. CN 22 is used for items not exceeding Rs. 25000 in value and NO other documentation is required.
4. IEC is also not required.
Of course I discovered the above the hard way, and I hope this info is useful to eBayers.
1) You can send an item of any value without an IEC code. But if it gets seized at Mumbai, Delhi or Chennai customs, then they will ask for an IEC code.
IEC is not needed to be placed on every shipment. But when the authorities ask, you MUST be able to provide it else you are screwed.
Hence, please do not be under wrong impressions about the IEC.
2) Along with the IEC, you must also get an approval code from bank to allow you to accept foreign currency. Although you receive payments in INR from PayPal, you must be able to present a letter from your bank.
3) You cannot send medicines unless you have a Drug License. Not even Herbal Medicines. Until you are caught, every thing is fine.
4) Cosmetic Items are covered under Indian Drugs and Cosmetic Act of 1967 in which even if you send simple Henna or Mehndi, then also you must have a Drug License. Every thing is fine until you are scrutinized by customs.
I see lot of sellers selling herbal medicines on eBay without any licenses. This is dangerous.
Over the counter medicines does not mean that you can sell them without a license. They can be purchased without prescription but cannot be sold without a license otherwise every pan shop would start selling cough syrups like Glycodin, Benadryl or pain killers like Crocin and Anacin which are advertised on TV. Understand the difference between buying and selling before you venture.
Very helpful info. Thank you all the above ebayers who shared such an important info. I have some more questions. I will be thankful if somebody answers.
1. Merchadise below 2500 INR does not need IEC code? 2. Can i send articles frequently if each article is valued below 25000 INR? In fact most of my articles value at 50 to 500 INR only. 3. What is the problem with post offices refusing to accept articles with some noise? I mean if i send a bottle of herbal capsules of course it will make noise!! Is there any postal rule on this matter? any reference would be helpful. 4. What is the rule according to which postal authorities refuse to accept cosmetic items? We can buy Non Prescription drugs without any prescription. So, why do post office insist on prescription and invoice?
Yes, that is correct. There ARE post offices which do not know this fact, so I have filed an RTI application 2 weeks ago specifically on what is allowed as Registered Letter, to which I should get a reply in anther 2 weeks. I will upload that response here.
Just to clarify one point. Even if it is a small parcel like packet of 300-500 grams with avalue of Rs 5000/- we can write as Registered Letter. I suppose in CN22 value is less than Rs 23000. Is it correct.
What forms you fill are a function of what kind of package you send and its value. If it's a "registered parcel" and it is of value higher than a certain amount you may fill additional forms, but the moot point is that if it is of lower value and a "registered letter" it costs less to send and you fill in only a CN 22 which is a very simple form. When sending from Bangalore it normally gets to the uSA in about 10 business days and I have had no problems.
Hey buddy Thanks for the information. I have sent several items through India Post (Registered Letter). However, I was provided the FP19, C2 and CP3 form which I filled up. So are they okay forms or the CN22 is required.
Also, how long will it take for the items to be delivered? coz it has already been more than 12 days but the item is still in Mumbai.